Monday, February 23, 2009

Tours in San Jose

Our first Wednesday tour (which took place before classes) takes place in San Jose, where we had originally landed in Costa Rica.

San Jose is one of those cities with a little bit of everything. We saw the historical sights, the tourist traps, the local shopping, the Americanized restaurants (McDonalds, Quiznos, KFC, and Wendys), and the really cool markets with great shopping and fun bargaining.

We meet Jose that day, our guide for the duration of our stay in Costa Rica. Jose is a little peanut of a Tico... we loved him!

We begin our tour at the town center at the Museo Nacional (National Museum). Jose guides us through the museum, pointing out the beautiful hand-painted ceilings, Sistine Chapel-style. Jose shows us some beautiful hand-made furniture throughout the rooms before takes us into the National Theatre. In there, a sixteen-year-old world-renowned pianist was practicing for a big performance. She let us watch as she performed two pieces... it was amazing! A few of us stayed behind after her performance to get autographs.

Outside of the Museo Nacional, we found a little old man selling hand-crafted ceramic animal whistles. They were really interesting - they all had different holes all over the animal which whistled in different pitches. A few of my friends bought a few at a discounted price before we headed on to the Parque Nacional, a little tourist park that overlooks the city and includes cultural displays and a butterfly garden.

On our way to lunch, we found a town square with a TON of pigeons. I had way too much fun chasing them around!

the simple pleasures of chasing pigeons in San Jose

The butterfly garden was so cool. The butterflies didn't really like me, so I didn't get to hold any of them, but they flocked to our friends, Colby and Chris.

Chris found a new friend in the butterfly garden

We then stopped for lunch at el Restaurante (The Restaurant). In my opinion, we had to pay a lot of money for so-so quality food, but I still enjoyed learning about the typical Tico cuisine. We again saw the cas and guanabana, and decided to get a fresa con leche, which was like a strawberry milkshake. It was good, but I prefer guanabana!

strawberry smoothies... not bad!

The marketplace was my favorite place in San Jose. We were able to haggle with the stall owners, and I got some great deals on gifts for family members as well as some turquoise jewelry for myself. My favorite purchase was the handmade photo album I got, made of palm leaves, for all of my Costa Rica pictures!

1 comment:

  1. Great photos. The palm leaf photo album sounds very unique. You'll have to show me if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete